Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Politics and Abortion

I hear and read discussion and articles about abortion and politics and I wanted to weigh in. These are tough and complicated subjects separately but when added together it creates an even more emotionally divisive subject. Please understand I am not judging anyone, just stating my opinion. Your opinion can be different. I am not asking to debate anyone just expressing myself. I personally don’t like or care for abortions. Lucky for me I live in a country where I can choose. While I wish we never had to abort a child, I also wish we protected every person from rape and incest but this clearly isn’t the case. I know people say that most people getting abortions aren’t victims of a crime. To me if even one is, she should have the right to choose. I can’t imagine having to make that choice and then live with the consequences everyday. Rape and incest scars you for life, then to add in the fact that the victim could become pregnant and have a child to show for it. This is just more than I can comprehend. Recently the state legislature in my state made it a law that all women who have an abortion must have a 3d ultrasound performed before the abortion. My heart really breaks for these women. As a survivor of sexual abuse, I know how deep the wounds run. I still have flashbacks. Now the primarily white male state legislature has decided to further inflict the victims with this requirement. I just don’t get it. I wish we would focus on helping end sexual violence and help to educate people to make better decisions when and how they are choosing to have sex. I think our efforts are better served on these issues than arguing if a woman has a right to chose. Won't it be nice if someday there was not a need for abortions?

No comments: